Saturday, December 01, 2007

Holiday Memory #1

My friend Melanie is hosting a Holdiay Memories Challenge over at ScrapAddict this month and I am going to try to keep up with her and do the challenges because I do think it is a great idea to get those memories down somewhere (even if it is just on my blog) and it really gets me thinking about the holidays and maybe will even help put me in more of a holiday mood.

Holiday Memory Challenge #1 = The Reason for the Season
What special types of holiday worship, if any, do you engage in? Do you do something every week (or every day) or do you just go to church on Christmas Day? Does this have a special meaning for you? This isn’t meant to be a guilt trip for whether or not you do anything at all, but merely an account of what and why you do what you do. Remember to take a photo that symbolizes what this season means for you, too.



I remember growing up that church was a very big part of the Christmas season for us. I remember the advent wreath and lighting the pretty candles each week. Maybe it was just because I went to Catholic school but as I have gotten older and the years have passed I have noticed that the Christmas shopping season seems to get earlier and earlier every year and it makes me not like Christmas a little more. Don't get me wrong, I love getting presents and getting to play Santa Claus but I feel like Christmas is getting shoved down my throat and I don't like that.
We are not an overly religious family, we go to church when we can and this year I finally dug out the nativity set again and put it up. I haven't for the last couple of years because the kids were too little and I was always afraid they would break it but I have decided who cares if they do play with it, it may just get them asking questions and us talking about the nativity set and why we celebrate Christmas. The nativity set is just ceramic dolls that can be replaced if broken, but my kids learning about the birth of Jesus Christ is important to me.

And just like when I was little we will put the baby Jesus out in the nativity set on Christmas Eve and maybe I will learn to like Christmas a little bit this year.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Great record of your memories, Jen! We leave our nativity scene on the mantle where the kids can't reach it, mostly because all of the moss on it keeps falling off. That's a nice looking set you have!

Feb 1, 2018

I'm trying to finish up some of last week's memory planning while I wait to leave to pick Evan up from his Robotics Executive mee...